Blog and news
Podiatry for Bunions!
Even though bunions are a common foot deformity, there are numerous misconceptions about them. A bunion (also referred to as hallux valgus) is a bony bump that forms on the joint at the base of your big toe. The classic bunion bump forms when your big toe pushes against your next toe, forcing the joint of your big toe to get bigger and stick out. Bunions are a progressive disorder that can become very painful and are most often caused by:
- Heredity – some people have certain foot types that make a person prone to developing a bunion.
- Medical condition – inflammatory condition, such as rheumatoid arthritis, or a neuromuscular condition, such as polio.
- Wearing poorly fitting shoes – in particular, shoes with narrow, pointed toe box that forces the toes into an unnatural position.
Bunions can also form at the base of the little toe – this is referred to as a “tailor’s bunion” or bunionette.
Symptoms of bunions may include:
- Pain and soreness
- A burning sensation
- Swelling at the joint of the affected toe
- Skin thickness at the base of the affected toe
- The presence of corns or calluses
- Movement restrictions within the affected toe
The presence of bunions can lead to other conditions developing such as pain and swelling (bursitis), arthritis, difficulty walking, hammertoe and much more.
Bunions are readily apparent—the prominence is visible at the base of the big toe or side of the foot. However, it is recommended that someone that suffers from the condition see a podiatrist to fully evaluate the degree of the deformity and asses the changes that have occurred. Once the doctor has made an evaluation, a treatment plan can be developed that is suited to the patient’s needs.
Contact Miller Orthopedic today if you are experiencing bunions so we can develop a treatment plan!
Recent Blog Posts
Thu, 29 Apr 2021 Patient Success Story: One Happy CamperFri, 12 Mar 2021 Six Common Reasons for Back PainTue, 26 Jan 2021 Should I have my hip or knee surgery during COVID-19?Fri, 04 Dec 2020 Winter Sports Injury Prevention TipsMon, 26 Oct 2020 The Benefits of a Partial Knee Replacement
- Press release
- Regenerative Medicine Solutions
Recent Press Releases
Mon, 30 Mar 2020 Telehealth Now AvailableTue, 15 Jan 2019 Regenerative Medicine Solutions Press ReleaseFri, 04 Jan 2019 NEW Robotic-Arm Assisted Surgery Comes to the AreaWed, 13 Sep 2017 Orthopedic Spine Surgeon, Dr. Pedro A. Ricart, Joins Miller Orthopedic SpecialistsTue, 18 Jul 2017 FREE * Sports Injury Clinic will begin Saturday
Request an Appointment
Please fill out the form below to request an appointment.
* Indicates a required field